Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"J" is for Jenni James


I've discovered a new favorite author. Jenni James has started a new YA series loosely based on the classic novels of Jane Austen, sort of the way West Side Story was based on Romeo and Juliet. Think Jane Austen meets the modern American teenager.

When I brought home the first book in the series, Pride and Popularity, my teenage daughter snatched it right up and finished it in 3 hours.

She L-O-O-O-V-E-D it, and she's never even read Jane Austen!

Then I finally had a chance to read it, and oh my goodness! If you are a Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice fan, even if you've only seen the movie, you are going to have so much fun seeing the way Jenni works in all the classic P&P plot elements, yet still keeps it so current and relevant.

The second book in the series, Northanger Alibi, was a little harder for me to get into, probably because I'm not as familiar with Northanger Abbey. (It was Austen's gothic.) But I had to just giggle and give props to Jenni for bringing in the Twilight references.

Both these books are ones that teenage girls AND their mothers are going to enjoy. Go to Jenni's website to read the sample chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment