Thursday, April 14, 2011

American Idol - Movie Week

Drat! Our cable went out for a while last night and we missed the first three performances. Luckily, they were on YouTube today.

Paul McDonald had the first spot of the night and sang "Old Time Rock and Roll" by Bob Seiger, from the movie "Risky Business." This was a better song for his voice and style, but I couldn't help comparing him to Seiger. He just didn't own it. And every time I hear that song I think of Tom Cruise sliding across the floor, and I'm afraid Paul didn't measure up to that performance either. Was that a new rose suit, or the same one dyed black?

Lauren Alaina sang Miley Cyrus' "The Climb" and I think she did it better than Miley. This young lady could have a bigger career than Miley Cyrus, without the boost of her own Disney Channel show or a famous daddy to get her started.

Stefano Langone sang "End of the Road" by Boyz II Men from the movie Boomerang. I think Stefano has found his niche - boy band songs.

Scotty McCreery sang "I Cross My Heart" by George Straight from the movie "Pure Country." This wasn't one of my favorite performances of his this season. Yes, it's very country and Scotty's very country and all that. But I thought it was a little high to really show off his voice. Still though, this guy is radio ready.

Casey Abrams sang Nat King Cole's "Nature Boy," from the movie "Moulin Rouge." I'm so glad he stood his ground and sang the song he wanted, rather than what the producer wanted him to sing. It was a great song to showcase Casey's talent. And he brought out the bass again!

Haley Reinhart chose "Call Me" by Blondie from "American Gigolo." She pulled it off. I think she chose another song that really showcased her unique voice.

Jacob Lusk sang "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkle from the "The Pursuit of Happyness." Okay, I grew up with this song BEFORE it was in the movie. This was an okay cover, but not the greatest. Sometimes, Jacob's vibrato is so overpowering I can't tell if he's singing the right note.

James Durbin chose (of course) Sammy Hagar's "Heavy Metal" from the movie of the same name. Who would have ever believed we would see heavy metal on American Idol? No doubt, James has the chops for metal. With the difference between last week's song and this one, I think he is proving himself to be one of the most versatile singers this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment