Wednesday, April 20, 2011

American Idol - 21st Century Week


This season just gets better and better. The judges keep saying anybody could win. I don't know about that, but I think at least half the contestants right now could win IF they make the right song choices and have great performances for the rest of the season.

That opening number, though, kind of made me wish I hadn't watched the first few minutes of the show. "So What" by Pink is a fun song, and the girls did okay, although their voices are so different they should never sing the same note all at the same time. They just didn't match up. Then Paul came in and he didn't harmonize with anybody or anything. It was painful.

On to the real show.

First up, Scotty McCreery singing "Swingin" by LeeAnn Rhimes. (I've never heard her version. This was originally sung back in 1983 by John Anderson.) I liked this one so much better than what he sang last week. It was upbeat and fun and he got some of the "low ladykiller notes" in there. The judges were a little bored and wished he would take more chances. Luckily, they don't have a vote anymore. Scotty is doing what Scotty does and doing it well.

Next up, James Durbin sang "Uprising" by Muse. I finally understood the lyrics of this song and I like it. He brought in a drum corps! I love this guy! Every week I look forward to seeing how he is going to top his last performance. Does it hurt his vocal cords to sing that high?

Haley Reinhart took on "Rolling In The Deep" by Adele. I think the style was a good one for Haley, but she was losing control of the notes, which I thought was odd, because Haley has a lot of vocal control, normally.

Jacob Lusk sang "Dance For My Father" by Luther Vandross. I couldn't help comparing Jacob to Luther and the comparison was not good. Yes, everyone (the judges) compares Jacob to Luther, but I don't think the comparison bears much close scrutiny. At least not this close. Luther's voice is like butter and Jacob's was a little more like the chunks of butter floating around in the buttermilk when the churning is only half done.

Casey Abrams did "Harder to Breathe" by Maroon 5. (Side note: My daughter could barely contain herself, saying, "My favorite contestant is singing a song by one of my favorite groups! I love Casey!") As Randy said, "Surprise! Surprise! Surprise!" Casey is a rocker, too! He's another one that brings something new every week.

Stefano Langone channeled Neo with "Closer." So Producer Jimmy gave him a lecture about being confident, so Stefano was really acting confident on stage. This guy is improving every week. All the little girl voters just might put him through to the finale, but I hope not. Yeah, he's improving, but he's still not one of my favorites. When he throws his head back and hits those really big notes he reminds me of that little kid's fishing game where you have to get the magnet on the little plastic fishing pole to grab the magnet in the little plastic fishes mouth.

Lauren Alaina closed the show with "Born to Fly" by Sara Evans. Lauren really does have a very special voice. She lets it show a little bit more every time. The judges gave her a huge pep talk about just going for it and seeing what her voice can do. I look forward to seeing what she does with all that encouragement next week.

My picks for the bottom three this week are Jacob, Stefano, and Haley. I think Jacob will go home.

Unless Lauren comes out next week and knocks everyone sideways, I still think this is going to come down to Scotty and James in the finale. The winner will depend upon which is stronger, the country vote, or the rocker vote. But Lauren and Scotty could split the country vote, giving James the win.

This week's Tylerisms:

"I wish you would have boot scooted around a little more."

"God says all men are created equal and some are more equal than others."

And this was all for James:

"You stay out of my closet now. Mad Max meets storm troopers on Melrose. You'd be surprised how expensive it costs to look this cheap. I sounds like you're going in a T-Rex direction."

But Ryan, coming out in a fake red beard, had the funniest line of the night. "This is what it feels like to be a man??"

No comments:

Post a Comment