Thursday, May 7, 2009

Dinner In A Hurry - Taco Soup

One of my hobbies (defined as stuff I have to do anyway so I find a way make it interesting) is collecting ideas for dinners that I can put together quickly and that my family will enjoy eating. One of our favorites is Taco Soup. Here's how to make it.

1. Brown 1 pound of ground beef and drain off the fat.
2. Drain 1 can of black or red beans.
3. Drain 1 can of corn.
4. In a medium saucepan, combine beans, corn, 1 can of stewed or crushed tomatoes, and 1 can full of water.
5. Add 1 envelope of taco seasoning mix.
6. Add browned ground beef.
7. Garnish individual servings with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and Fritos.

A few hints: I buy large packages of ground beef when it's on sale, divide it into 1 pounds portions, which fit well in the pint size zippered freezer bags, and stack it in the freezer. Each one of these takes 5 minutes or so to thaw in the microwave. I also watch for shredded cheese to go on sale, and buy several packages, which I also stack in the freezer. This doesn't even need to be thawed. Just crumble up the shredded pieces and sprinkle on the soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment