Never underestimate the value of a good writers' conference. Last spring, I dragged my sister Marilyn with me to the LDStorymakers conference. There was a publishers' meet and greet event, and Marilyn met a publisher who had a specific project in mind and needed a writer to do it. Of course, Marilyn said that she and her sister (me) could do that, and the publisher asked her to send in a proposal.
They offered that project to someone else. But, we were offered another project, and we took it. Which is why I am now saying,
We are compiling a book of true, faith-promoting stories dealing with the Young Women's values. We are aiming for a June 2012 release date, and we need just a few more good stories. Do you have a good story to tell? Do you know someone else who does? If you were asked to pick one of the values and talk to the young women at church for about 5 minutes about something that happened to you, or someone you know, what would you tell them?
Here's what we need:
1. True, exciting, inspirational stories about experiences with the Young Women's Values: Faith, Divine Nature, Individual Worth, Knowledge, Choice and Accountability, Good Works, Integrity, Virtue. Look here for more information.
2. 500-1000 words.
3. Main character should be a young woman, age 12-17.
4. The author can be young, old, female, male, even anonymous, as long as it is a true story.
4. Dialogue is good. Action is good. "Show, don't tell."
5. Deadline is March 31, 2012.
6. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put "Submission" in the subject line.
7. There is no monetary compensation, but you will get a publishing credit.